Welcome, readers!

Welcome to H&J's adventure blog! Please enjoy your stay, and please do leave comments for us. We love to hear back from our readers. We also love taking requests for future posts. Anything you want us to blog about? Just email us. Thanks for reading!

Services We Recommend

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Birds is the Word

With H up in Trois-Pistoles for five whole weeks, I decided to I needed to find ways to keep busy. Oh sure, for the first few days--weeks, even--it was all about unpacking. But then what? So when my mom invited me to come to St. Louis for a week-long visit, I leaped at the chance.

Needless to say, I didn't get up to anything good. Or at least, not too good. For example, I postponed my return to Montréal for one day so that I could take advantage of an extremely cool invitation. My cousins (and good friends) SR and AS had finagled access to one of the snazzy new luxury suites at the recently rebuilt Busch Stadium for a St. Louis Cardinals game. And they invited me! Me! Can you believe it? (Can you imagine what a dork I must have been in middle school?)

Well, that evening was the only evening I thought to take out my camera, so that's whats I gots fer yuns. Before the game, I got to hang out with one of my favorite little people, RVS. (Apologies for the time-date stamps...)

The droolmaster demonstrates an advanced technique.

Then I got to hang out with some of my favorite big people.

I ask you: What could be better than this?

The mini-fridges come stocked with (gasp!) Anheuser-Busch products. They serve a little buffet of sports food (nachos, wings, burgers, etc.). All in all, the accommodations were strikingly generous. My cousins, it seems, have read Machiavelli:

Rulers either spend their own wealth and that of their subjects, or that of other peoples. Those who spend their own and their subjects’ wealth should be abstemious; those who spend the wealth of others should seize every opportunity to be generous. (Ch. 16)

Mmm... other people's money.

Those who know me well know that baseball used to be my life. When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I was equally likely to answer "Ozzie Smith" or "Willie McGee." When people told me I could be whatever I wanted, I believed them: I was determined to grow up to be a base-stealing, switch-hitting, golden-gloved black man. It didn't work out that way, but it was a good dream while it lasted.

I've since soured on the sport--actually, on all professional sports and most college ones as well--because of the money. Money spoils everything, even when there are no profits, and baseball is no exception. But going to the park on a muggy summer's evening, watching grown men at least pretend to play with sticks and balls in the dirt... not all of the magic is gone. No, indeed. Not all.

The Redbirds at play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was awesome hosting J at the game. I still think that he can be the switch-hitting, golden-gloved ballplayer that he dreamt that he'd become - as I am a true dreamer - to the very end. Or perhaps I'm still plastered on Anheuser-Busch products. Either way, it was great to host J in the Cardinals suite. Plus, getting favorably contrasted to Machiavelli - well, that's just bonus.