Welcome, readers!

Welcome to H&J's adventure blog! Please enjoy your stay, and please do leave comments for us. We love to hear back from our readers. We also love taking requests for future posts. Anything you want us to blog about? Just email us. Thanks for reading!

Services We Recommend

Thursday, February 22, 2007

C-S-what?

J has asked me on several occasions to post about my experience studying here in Stockholm, but I haven't found much blog-worthy in my studies. However, today at the end of my class, two students stood up and asked the class to complete a survey for their course on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). I wondered if they had heard of Survey Monkey, but having been in their shoes in the past, I diligently put down my head and answered the somewhat inane questions.

I was interrupted from checking off the little boxes by a fellow exchange student who is studying at a prestigious American MBA program: "What's CSR policy?" I paused for a second, wondering if he was looking for an example or if he didn't know what CSR was, so I responded, "Corporate Social Responsibility policy." He accepted the answer and turned back to his survey.

I chose the MBA program at McGill because I believed the program embraced the perspectives of students, like myself, who have interests which lie outside the mainstream of business thought and practice. Three semesters into a North American MBA program, though, one begins to wonder whether anything matters except accounting, finance, or one's facility with PowerPoint, and so I finished the McGill portion of my studies last December uncertain as to McGill's commitment to CSR. But this bald question, "What is CSR policy?" affirmed my initial intuition about McGill. Depending on the circumstances, I find myself arguing both for and against corporate activities executed under the banner of social responsibility, but one way or another, at least I know and my fellow McGillians know what CSR is and where to go for further support.

Is there a hands-down winner in North American B-schools?

No comments: